Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Pennsylvania Trip

Last Thursday, I left Spokane at 12:30 and arrived at Philadelphia at 11:30 pm. I stayed with my close friends Tomas and Carolina.

In their wonderful house in West Grove, PA.


Tomas was a sport, he had been up since 3am. I dragged him out of bed early on Friday morning and made him take me on a road trip to Lancaster through Amish country.


I was in search of fall colors. I always enjoy the trip to Lancaster.


You have to watch out for the Amish buggies!


I stopped and took several pictures of barns.


This guy got in my face to remind me that it is his barn, not mine.


Last year on the way to Lancaster we drive through Intercourse, PA. I took a picture of the Intercourse city park. This year...

I didn't find the fall colors I had hoped to find. Some of the trees had already lost their leaves. Others were still green. Most were brown. It didn't seem like a particularly impressive fall color year. I did have a good time and got a few nice pictures.


On Saturday, Carolina joined us and we traveled south to Baltimore. We went to Fort McHenry, the birthplace of the National Anthem.


Not many trees there, but I always enjoy visiting historic forts.


After Fort McHenry, we went down to the waterfront area for lunch.


Sunday, Tomas and I traveled south into Delaware and New Hampshire again looking for fall colors.

We eventually made it to Hagley Museum. Hagley is the site founded by DuPont to make gunpowder in the 1800s. Tomas and I visited the lower outdoor section of the Museum. The main visitors building was an old textile factory.

We did walk through the foreman's house on the lower grounds.

Here is one of the walkways heading back to the visitors building. The ginkgo trees had changed color.


Here is another picture of the textile factory.

Tomas, Carolina, and I visited Longwood Gardens in the afternoon. Longwood Gardens is another DuPont site closer to their home. We spent time walking throught the many areas of the gardens.


There were several displays of gourds.


There is a very large conservatory. Here is a picture of the East Conservatory.


There are many exhibits. Always great picture taking opportunities throughout the gardens.


Monday morning came too quickly. I got up at 3:45 to catch my early flight to Spokane. The plane had an issue with the computer and I got into Minneapolis late. In addition, a punk kid fought with a stewardess about turning his music player off. So there was quite the drama in flight. He was detained when we landed. It was quite the distance to my next gate. It was the first time I ever have had to get help from one of the "old man" shuttle services you see in the larger airports. I needed it, because I barely made it to the gate in time. I was back in Spokane at 10:30 am.

I have completed about half my pictures. I will post more pictures on this blog in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment