I spend considerable time working on photographs after a trip. I took 423 photos on the trip to Vegas. I was surprised I took so few pictures. I have on occasion taken more than 2,000 pictures in one weekend.
I upload them onto my computer. Back them up to an external drive. I then start the sorting process. I sort, sort, and sort some more. I only keep what I consider acceptable pictures. This is usually about 10% of the photos taken. I then spend time cropping and color correcting. Here is a 1X2 crop of power lines from Hoover Dam.
I then rate the pictures. I have a rating system so that I can more easily find my best pictures. I usually post all my 3 star (5 star system) pictures and higher on my Fotki-3ric site. I continue to critique and sort out my best pictures. This year alone I have taken around 3,300 pictures. I only consider 33 pictures my best work for the year. This is only 1%! After a trip like Vegas, I can spend as much as 40 hours working on the pictures I took.
Each year I plan to keep the top-100 pictures. I will print them in a book from an online book site such as mypublisher.com. I also try to keep track of my best ever 100 pictures. My goal is to see how I have improved over the years. It is also a nice way to only show off my best work.
You can see my progress on my fotki site. I publish my 2008 Photography (3star+) and I have been adding pictures I believe may make my top 100 in 2008 Photography Top 100.Only my best work makes it onto my "Pro" site (www.erichorn.com).
No comments:
Post a Comment